Re: WiFi Refresh -- Report 3

On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 06:37:04PM -0700, Phil Nelson wrote:
> On Friday 03 August 2018 14:24:59 Robert Swindells wrote:
> > Would it be worth getting another USB WiFi device and plugging it into
> > a machine running hostapd(8) ?
>
> I'm sure it would help.  I've got to learn it :)

You don't even need to run hostapd(8) to have an access point.  Heck,
you don't even need to run NetBSD on the access point. :-)

Usually it's important to have some NetBSD box with a highly capable
WiFi NIC with which you can eavesdrop on the unfiltered traffic
involving the device under test.  It may help if it's a third NIC
doing the eavesdropping.  There's no strong reason that the third
NIC has to be in a third computer.

I don't know if there is a driver in mainline NetBSD that lets you see
frames having a bad CRC or other malformedness, but it helps now and
then.  ISTR adding sysctls to one or two drivers for that, but I may
have decided the capability was too obscure and never committed it.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981