Re: UDP_ENCAP_ESPINUDP_NON_IKE

On 5/19/2018 2:52 PM, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
On 5/19/2018 1:04 PM, Maxime Villard wrote:
Le 19/05/2018 à 16:57, Chuck Zmudzinski a écrit :
A little more information on my setup from what racoon logs show:

May 13 12:17:11 ave racoon: INFO: respond new phase 1 negotiation: 192.168.xxx.xxx[500]<=>xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx[500]
May 13 12:17:11 ave racoon: INFO: begin Identity Protection mode.
May 13 12:17:11 ave racoon: INFO: received broken Microsoft ID: MS NT5 ISAKMPOAKLEY
May 13 12:17:11 ave racoon: INFO: received Vendor ID: RFC 3947
May 13 12:17:11 ave racoon: INFO: received Vendor ID: draft-ietf-ipsec-nat-t-ike-02
May 13 12:17:11 ave racoon: INFO: received Vendor ID: FRAGMENTATION
May 13 12:17:11 ave racoon: [68.40.135.16] INFO: Selected NAT-T version: RFC 3947

This is from a Microsoft Windows 10 client, and it reports using RFC 3947 for Nat-t version, yet in the NetBSD 7.x udp_usrreq.c code, my system is selecting the UDP_ENCAP_ESPINUDP_NON_IKE case but I had to edit the skip variable for that case to what skip would be if the INP_ESPINUDP case was selected in udp_usrreq.c to get my setup to work with the windows clients. If is confusing to me, but my patch does work with windows clients but I don't know if my
patch breaks other cases.

Well, at a first glance it looks like there's a problem with racoon. If it
uses RFC3947, it shouldn't use non-IKE markers.

That's what I was thinking also, but as I said I am using Microsoft clients with the AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule value set to 2 in the Windows registry <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/926179/how-to-configure-an-l2tp-ipsec-server-behind-a-nat-t-device-in-windows>, and maybe that is tricking racoon into using non-IKE markers. I can try Windows clients with that value set to 0 or 1 and see if racoon is still using non-IKE markers.

Next week I will have some time to do some debugging and test my confi guration also with a non-Windows client and see if it is still using non-IKE markers. I can try an iphone client and I also got a NetBSD client that uses racoon to work with my patch but I never checked if it used non-IKE markers in that case. I will let you know what I find.

Chuck Zmudzinski

After some debugging and browsing the source code of racoon I found that my racoon was configured in such a way that racoon would report to the kernel that it was using non-IKE markers even though non-IKE markers were not being used. This happened when in racoon.conf I had something like:

listen
{
    isakmp 192.168.xxx.xxx[500];
    isakmp 192.168.xxx.xxx[4500];
}

Instead of this:

listen
{
    isakmp 192.168.xxx.xxx[500];
    isakmp_natt 192.168.xxx.xxx[4500];
}

According to the racoon.conf man page, a socket will accept UDP-encapsulated ESP traffic for NAT-Traversal when using the isakmp_natt statement in the listen directive, but not when using the isakmp statement. In fact, however, I discovered that NetBSD's racoon (NetBSD 7.x) will accept UDP-encapsulated traffic even with the isakmp statement for port 4500, but it will report to the kernel that it is using non-IKE markers when, as far as I can tell, it actually is not using non-IKE markers. I observed this behavior for all L2TP/IPSEC clients I tested, including Windows, iPhone, and netbsd/racoon.

When using the isakmp_natt statement for port 4500 in the listen directive, racoon works as expected and does not report using non-IKE markers and everything works as expected for RFC 3947/3948, for all clients I tested, including Windows, iPhone, and a netbsd/racoon client.

The bottom line: I think if we remove UDP_ENCAP_ESPINUDP_NON_IKE option from the kernel, also remove it from racoon.

Chuck Zmudzinski