kernel diagnostic assertion "llt != NULL" failed

Hello,
on a netbsd-8 system, running with a netbsd-5 userland so the ipv4 stack
was probably not fully initialised (some network-related commands fails
with "Protocol not supported"), I got at shutdown:
panic: kernel diagnostic assertion "llt != NULL" failed: file "/dsk/l1/misc/bouyer/netbsdtsar/netbsd-8/src/sys/net/if_llatbl.c", line 427 llt is NULL

unfortunably I couldn't get a stack trace.
Changing this KASSERT to
       if (llt == NULL) {
               printf("llt is NULL\n");
               return;