Re: Detached address check

On 22/11/2017 17:18, Robert Swindells wrote:
So you don't want in kernel Duplicate Address Detection?
We already have sysctls to set the DaD packets sent to zero which
effectively addresses the TENTATIVE part. The above patch handles
DETACHED (well, for IPv4 anyway).

I'm not in the habit of assigning duplicate IPv4 addresses so don't
really care about DaD. That isn't the question that I'm asking though.

> I don't see why a router that isn't using stateless address autoconfig
> on a downstream interface should get the address of that interface set
> to DETACHED if the cable is unplugged.

But it's related.
If you want good DaD, and clearly you don't, there is a need to deny public use of the address before it's validated.

Also, which RFC requires that IPv4 should follow the same protocol ?

RFC5227
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5227

If this change makes it into NetBSD-8 then I think you are going to
spend a lot of time answering user questions.

Well, the change has been in -current for over 2.5 years and I've not
spent much time either answering question or fixing bugs with it so I
disagree with that somewhat sweeping statement.

The final change was only in September 2016, there are plenty of people
still using NetBSD-7 on the mailing lists.
It's now November 2017 and there's a healthy amount of people posting to netbsd-current@ or tech-net@ their own special blend of problem running -current. I'm not really sure of your point here.

Roy