Re: Detached address check

On 18/11/2017 13:37, Robert Swindells wrote:
On Fri, November 17, 2017 4:57 pm, Robert Swindells wrote:
I feel that the changes made to check whether a sending address is valid
are too strict.

The check means that an attempt to connect from the address of an
interface that is marked detached to the same address will fail even
though there is still a route for this address to the loopback device.

The change was introduced in:

<http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2016/09/15/msg077726.html>

To clarify, I expect to be able to do:

# ifconfig wm0 inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 up
# ping 192.168.0.1

and for it to work every time, not just when wm0 has detected a
carrier. In the traditional usage, the packets don't go through wm0
anyway they go through lo0.

Aside from ping, what else do you really want?

The RFC 4862 referenced in the commit is for IPv6, I don't think that
IPv4 behaviour should change too.

I'm not even convinced that I want this behaviour for IPv6, I would
prefer that addresses set using ifconfig(8) should stay valid until
I change them.

What would you actually do with them though?
You have localhost - 127.0.0.1 which works just fine.

Roy