Re: wpi0: radio is disabled by hardware switch

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 08:08:30PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > No, I'm not planning to make the interface dissapear, although it could be
> > a way to do it. What I had in mind is powerd(4) getting a new event
> > type, RADIO_EVENT_SWITCH_STATE_CHANGE
>
> So the interface will still be there, and presumably can be ifconfig'd
> up or down, and will never actually radiate, and never show anything
> other than "no carrier", but programs shouldn't try to use it?

No, it can't be ifconfig'd up. The driver doesn't allow it
in the wpi case (I haven't looked at other drivers).

Note that I don't know if the button really does prevent the wifi
from working. It could just be a button connected to a gpio pin, and
everything is handled in software (again for wpi I guess it really
turns the radio off, because button status is reported by the adapter's
firmware. For e.g. athn it may just be a gpio pin).

> So it seems like you are providing a hook so that people can write
> scripts that start and stop things when the button is pushed.

Yes