Re: SCTP, DCCP and MobileIP

> The big advantage of TCP is that it is far easier to get multuple
> user packets into a single ethernet frame.  That is almost impossible
> with sctp - especially if you disable Nagle.

That's a good reason to improve the SCTP API (as a simple example,
rather than having to do the analog of TCP_NODELAY, each send could
include a "hang on this, more is likely to come soon" flag).  It's not
(IMO) a good reason to write off SCTP.

> The sctp protocol RFC does contain a whole load of stuff that isn't
> directly related to the protocol.  All the stuff about handling
> multiple connections through a single socket and simulating
> connectionless traffic is all local and hidden from the remote system
> - it is all solving an orthogonal problem.

Sure, but multiple connections over a single <addr1,port1,addr2,port2>
4-tuple is _not_ protocol-invisible.  How it's presented in the API is
a separate issue (IMO out of scope for the IETF, not that the IETF
cares what I think).

Also, are we talking about the same protocol RFC?  I just checked 4960,
and "socket" occurs only twice in it, neither of which describes
multiplexing multiple connections into a single socket.  If you mean
6458, that's a different RFC - not the SCTP spec and not the RFC I was
talking about.

\ / Ribbon Campaign