Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 03:33:30PM -0700, Scott Solmonson wrote:
> This has been a pain point for me before-
>
> Since MACs are UUIDs-
> Is there a good reason why any interface "naming" (essentially,
> aliasing) should be automated at all?
> (specifically to avoid and card removal/replacement/moving problems)
> Is there any reason why, in the system/OS-level config, a fully manual
> mapping of MAC1->eth0, MAC2->eth1, MAC(n)->eth(n) shouldn't be
> *required*?
> It's difficult for me to find one.

It means you can access a config file before accessing network.
There are cases where you need to access network to find a config file.

This case can probably be handled especially, though.

The only real problem I can see with this is that you can have multiple
adapters with the same ethernet address.