Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

This has been a pain point for me before-

Since MACs are UUIDs-
Is there a good reason why any interface "naming" (essentially,
aliasing) should be automated at all?
(specifically to avoid and card removal/replacement/moving problems)
Is there any reason why, in the system/OS-level config, a fully manual
mapping of MAC1->eth0, MAC2->eth1, MAC(n)->eth(n) shouldn't be
*required*?
It's difficult for me to find one.

If I replace a NIC with another, and the automation swaps its naming
with another NIC, my firewall is now broken, potentially in a VERY
BAD(TM) way. If I'm adding more NICs and move an existing one to a
different slot, and the automation changes up its naming based upon
seeing the same MAC in a different slot (and/or gets entirely
confused, which has happened to me in Linuxland), that's VERY
ANNOYING(TM).

I'm eager to hear any and all arguments in support of automated NIC
naming, versus a one-time static-mapping config similar to that which
is needed to simply assign an IP address and netmask etc :)

-SS
--
NUNQUAM NON PARATUS ☤ INCITATUS ÆTERNUS