Re: apparently missing locking in if_bnx.c

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 09:43:42AM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 12:51:29PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >
> > No network driver is SMP-safe at this time, so they're all running
> > under KERNEL_LOCK. splnet() is enough to protect the queues.
>
> I think there are a few that are SMP-safe.  One of Matt's for a powerpc board,
> and probably ixgbe.
>
> I know there are extensive patches floating around out there to make wm and
> some of the software "interfaces" SMP-safe.  I'll let their authors speak up
> for themselves if they think it's appropriate...

I am working on wm(4) performance.  My work so far has entailed making
wm(4) more MP-friendly, especially in the Tx path.  The plan is to feed
all of my changes back.

I'm also working on a fast replacement to m_tag(9), and on various
improvements to vlan(4) and agr(4).

BTW, I've mined Matt Thomas' driver in
sys/arch/powerpc/booke/dev/pq3etsec.c for a lot of fine ideas about
structuring an ethernet driver.  Hats off to Matt.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981