Re: Retiring dhclient

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 12:23:55PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> So I think it's reasonable for the server to send the MTU, but -- since
> for some MTU values and some adapter types the client *has to* reset its
> PHY or even part of its MAC to do an MTU change -- the DHCP client
> software should be careful not to try to change the value on the adapter
> if the new value received from the server is the same as what was already
> configured.

BTW, this is exactly what I meant in my initial mail. I think we want to
add support for suppressing this link state messages to the net/if.c
logic for informing userland. I.e. if the link goes down now and comes
back in the next $X seconds, consider it normal behavior of the PHY
reset and not as unplugged cable.

Joerg