Re: pptp daemon?

Back about a month ago, I wrote

>> I've been tasked with estting up a PPTP server, [...]

>> I've done some poking around, but everything, even the link on the
>> NetBSD networking how-to page, seems to lead to
>> http://www.mreriksson.net/howtos/netbsd-pptp-server/, [...]

dtyson replied (spurious line break in URL patched up manually)

> Should be on the internet archive:

> http://web.archive.org/web/20070828010016rn_1/www.mreriksson.net/howtos/netbsd-pptp-server/

This was a substantial help (thank you dtyson!) and got me part of the
way there, but I'm having trouble still/again.  The historical
mreriksson.net page says poptop 1.0.1 and ppp-mppe 2.3.9.  There is no
ppp-mppe package now as far as I can tell; mppe-lkm is the closest I
could find.

The machine is NetBSD 5.1 i386.  I have installed poptop-1.3.0 and
mppe-lkm-0.0.4nb2 (from source; mppe-lkm appears to be unavailable in
binary form, and I prefer to have source on hand in any case).  This
involved also installing digest-20080510 and gmake-3.82nb1, though I
doubt either of them is relevant.

It still doesn't work.  I made sure the LKM was loaded at boot time
(and modstat, after the machine is up multi-user, shows it, so I have
little doubt it worked).  But trying to start a PPTP client talking to
it fails with errors like

Mar 21 11:58:00 potato pppd[566]: LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but not
available)

Clearly I've done something wrong, or not done something I need to, or
some such, but so far I've been baffled as to what.  I'll be digging
(this is one reason I wanted to have source on hand), but, in the
meantime, does anyone have any pointers[%]?  I suspect the ppp-mppe the
mreriksson page refers to is relevant, but, as I said, I can't find any
such package now; the only packages I see with mppe in their names are
audio/mppenc and net/mppe-lkm: the former is a false positive and the
latter is installed.  I see four packages with ppp in their names, none
of which look likely to be relevant (net/mouse-pppoe, net/pppd,
net/rp-pppoe, and net/userppp); do I need one of them?

I'm considering wading into the code with a machete, both to get that
stupid LKM compiled into the kernel (I really really dislike LKMs,
especially on world-facing machines - removing LKM support is normally
one of the first things I do) and to figure out just what is going
wrong with the MPPE negotiation and how to fix it.  But if it's just a
PEBKAC issue, it would help immensely for someone to point out just
_how_ it is.

Thoughts?

[%] I know, I know, cue xkcd #138... :)

\ / Ribbon Campaign