Re: is NetBSD-4.x NFS Server locking support broken?

On 21 Sep 2008, at 17:41, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:
I was beginning to get quite discouraged given the many complaints on the Apple lists about problems with various Solaris and Linux NFS servers having many problems.

Well, there *are* problems but they mostly affect Mac OS X Tiger
and one can work around them:
1.) NFS over TCP is very slow under Mac OS X Tiger. You can
    however can decent performance by using NFS over UDP.
2.) NFS has problems on Intel Mac under Tiger which causes e.g.
    weird behavior in Finder.
3.) NIS support under Mac OS X Tiger is broken. I had to deploy
    an OpenLDAP server and use that as the directory server for
    my Mac to make things work reliable.

The good news is however that Mac OS X Leopard seems to fix those
issues. I'm get good performance when using NFS over TCP between
my NetBSD server and Mac client. And I even used NIS for a while
(when OpenLDAP was broken in pkgsrc) without problems.

        Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                           http://zhadum.org.uk/