Re: is NetBSD-4.x NFS Server locking support broken?

On 20-Sep-08, at 8:52 AM, Matthias Scheler wrote:

On 19 Sep 2008, at 22:20, Greg A. Woods wrote:
Is NetBSD-4.x NFS Server locking support broken?

I don't think so.

Since upgrading my Apple laptop to OS X 10.5 I've been having problems
with NFS mounts to my NetBSD-4 server.

It works fine here.

Are you saying you have the same combo of OS X 10.5 and NetBSD-4 and that NFS mounts with locking enabled and that the locking works in your configuration?

I just found the following in the NFS Manager app release notes:

"Mac OS X 10.3 uses POSIX advisory file locks to open the address book database. Some NFS servers are not compatible with the implementation of NFS locking used by Apple. The lock fails and the calling applications hangs."

Apparently the Finder uses locking for lots of other stuff too, including perhaps directory reads based on the kinds of problems I'm seeing.

Today I also found threads on other mailing lists complaining about OSX NFS locking causing problems with Solaris NFS servers too, so perhaps this is partly an OSX problem (i.e. it is trying to use what it maybe should know is an incompatible locking protocol).

The only thing potentially odd here is that my Macbook is connected
through a NAT (running on my SMC wireless AP).

NAT is evil, especially if RPC is involved.

I'm not sure why that should be -- at least not with a proper NAT (this isn't ICMP or anything else without port numbers, or even some bizarre thing like DNS server port randomization). NFS over UDP works, and that's RPC. It's just the locking that's failing, and it seems to be the server side that's complaining first it seems, though I can't yet tell why.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>