Re: Design misfeature of dhclient for multiple interfaces

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 11:46:41AM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> I think there are several separate issues.  One is fail-over, which is
> indeed important.  A second is what to do when there are multiple
> interfaces, which has several aspects: which has priority, when are
> leases negotiated, how is auxiliary data bound to the current default
> route, etc.  My current failure is with this last point, though (as has
> been noted) I'm still grasping for a solution to all of them.

The cheesy approach might work; it's not suitable for all
requirements, but does pretty well for the common case: disable
wireless when there's a wired connection.  Some ifwatchd scripts
should deal with that, including making dhcp release and renew leases
after a change (so the right *.conf contents are left at the end).

--
Dan.