Re: interesting paper at usenix...

On Jun 29, 2008, at 2:45 AM, Matt Fleming wrote:

I don't think packet aggregation is feasible for NetBSD in general
because of this statement,

Uh, it's really easy to determine that at run-time.

"Packet aggregation is done only for valid TCP packets, i.e., those with a valid TCP and IP checksum. We verify only the IP checksum field of the
network TCP packet before it is used for aggregation. For the TCP
checksum, we assume the common case that the NIC supports checksum
offloading, and has validated the TCP checksum. This is because
verifying the TCP checksum in software would make the aggregation
expensive."

Matt

-- thorpej