Re: DHCP client with minimal functionality and size

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:04:20 -0400
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost> wrote:

For all the flaws of ISC dhclient the use of scripts for managing
configuration files after state changes, and the set of variables it
provides to them, are very well thought out.  Done properly --
dhclient does not do it properly! -- it should make a DHCP client
smaller, not larger, since all the work of writing ntp.conf etc. can
be deferred to the shell.

Thanks; I was about to post the same thing.  There are a fair number of
things I dislike about dhclient, but the scripts actually help the
size, since I already have a shell, ifconfig, etc., lying around.

        Would you be happy if dhcpcd had options to disable various
        of its setting actions and would call call out to a script at
        those various points so you could have a similar setup to
        dhclient?