Re: DHCP client with minimal functionality and size

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 16:10 +0000, David Brownlee wrote:

> >> It should only be able to deal with link changes.
> >
> > Hmmmm. I disagree here. Link managers, such as wpa_supplicant, should
> > call a generic network script to say "link up/down" and then either
> > configure static ip or do dhcp.
> >
> > Gentoo uses this approach very well. Although I am slightly biased as I
> > wrote that part of Gentoo ;) This is going outside the scope of this
> > discussion though.
>
>       Just to clarify - so in this model unplugging and replugging in an
>       ethernet cable would be expected to run a script which would kill
>       and potentially restart dhcpdc?

Yes, as there is no guarantee the the cable you unplugged is the same
one you plug in. For example, you could be configuring your network
based on arpinging set gateways. Here's a sample config you could
achieve with this in Gentoo.

arping="192.168.0.1"
config_192168000001="192.168.0.99/24"
dns_servers_192168000001="192.168.0.1"