Subject: RE: CARP
To: Li Mingyu <limingyu@huawei-3com.com>
From: Justin Lundy <jbl_nyc@yahoo.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/27/2004 23:53:53
Related IETF Meeting Minutes from the 58th IETF
Meeting
in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA:

"Jun-ihiro itojun Hagino from the OpenBSD community
presented the common
address redundancy protocol (CARP). Points of contact
for the effort
include mcbride@openbsd.org and deraadt@openbsd.org.
The goal of the CARP
effort is to have a protocol in this problem space
that is completely
patent-free. The CARP community has evaluated VRRP and
believes both VRRP
and CARP do not infringe on any HSRP claims. Bob
Hinden questioned the
validity of this analysis and whether or not Cisco
would agree with that
analysis. The primary technical differences between
CARP and VRRP were
summarized. The discussion evolved back to the topic
of patents. Scott
Bradner expressed a concern about the CARP community
not having
discussed  their analysis with Cisco. Bob Hinden
questioned the
mechanics of the  reliability mechanism used by CARP.
The conclusion of the
discussion was  that an internet-draft needs to be
prepared in order to
seriously consider  CARP in the context of this
working group."

Source: http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/03nov/193.htm

-jbl

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2003/11/10/0005.html