tech-multimedia archive

Re: uvideo webcam on big-endian systems

Jeremy Morse wrote:

> Jared made some changes to video.c on the 14th Dec, but they don't
> appear to contain anything dangerous; you could try without those
> modifications though.

No, Jared's modification are indeed harmless.

What I did in the last 24 hours was to compile kernels with the NetBSD
source for each day from the 14th until the 20th of December. An hour ago I
found out that the deadly modification occured between the 16th and the
17th. Some manually applied patches further I had it identified as Matt's
usb_mem.c patch:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2010/12/15/msg015963.html

I guess the problem is that he switched from malloc()/free() to
kmem_zalloc()/kmem_free(). Maybe his changes are even correct and disclose
a problem which we ever had but didn't notice? I don't know.

Nevertheless, I removed his patch and was finally able to test your last
patches. The result:

video alloc 2 bufs
enqueue 0xd57dee30
enqueue 0xd57dee48
video buf complete; frameno 1 EOF 1
egress 0xd57dee30
enqueue 0xd57dee30
video buf complete; frameno 0 EOF 1
egress 0xd57dee48
enqueue 0xd57dee48
video buf complete; frameno 1 EOF 1
egress 0xd57dee30
enqueue 0xd57dee30
video buf complete; frameno 0 EOF 1
egress 0xd57dee48
enqueue 0xd57dee48
video buf complete; frameno 1 EOF 1
egress 0xd57dee30
enqueue 0xd57dee30
video buf complete; frameno 0 EOF 1
egress 0xd57dee48
enqueue 0xd57dee48
video buf complete; frameno 1 EOF 1
egress 0xd57dee30
enqueue 0xd57dee30
video buf complete; frameno 0 EOF 1
egress 0xd57dee48
enqueue 0xd57dee48
video buf complete; frameno 1 EOF 1
[...]

The mplayer-output looks exactly the same as before! Just a bit more
flickering, because of the debugging output. So it is not ehci?

> Do you know the PowerPC memory managment facilities at all?

No, unfortunately not. I need to have a look into that some day, because of
several problems I have to solve (currently in my amigappc port). But I try
to avoid it as long as possible. ;)

--
Frank Wille