tech-multimedia archive

Re: [rafal%pobox.com@localhost: uvideo crashes 5.0_RC1 / i386]

Rafal Boni wrote:
> Adding DIAGNOSTIC to the kernel (and rebuilding from scratch), I see
> a bunch of 'uhci_device_icoc_enter: overflow!' messages if I run
> mplayer as:
>
>       $ mplayer /dev/video0
>
> The interesting thing is it didn't crash (at least not for a few mins;
> pre-DIAGNOSTIC it didn't last nearly that long), and I was able to kill
> mplayer and repeat the experiment a few times without crashing.  I will
> file the first (non-DIAGNOSTIC) crash as a new PR unless you already have
> one open, Jeremy..

Great - I don't believe there's a PR about this, do file one,
essentially it's "Uvideo queues too many xfers to uhci/ohci".

In the meantime, if you look in src/sys/dev/usb/uhcivar.h and update
"UHCI_VFRAMELIST_COUNT" from 128 to 1024, this problem should be
eliminated (or at least improved). There's absolutely no documentation
for most of usb, but the vframelist is some memory-saving method.

> Interestingly enough, having noticed another email about a uvideo crash
> on the list today (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-multimedia/2009/01/
> 31/msg000033.html), I ran mplayer as:
>
>       $ mplayer -tv fps=25 tv://
>
> and was actually rewarded with video (ok, the first time on the console;
> I didn't know that mplayer did cheesy ASCII interpolation... scary!).  On
> the second try I ran it from within X and while the video is broken up and
> mplayer complains about 'frame too small' and 'select timeout's I do get
> video output -- though it's broken up as one might expect if frames were
> being read partially and/or chopped -- and everything runs without crashing.

Possibly isn't panicing by choosing a smaller resolution and so not
hitting that frame limit. However I wouldn't trust kernel memory
integrity after running that. I'm suprised mplayer coped with all the
rubbish being spewed at it!

--
Thanks,
Jeremy