tech-misc archive

Re: UFS dirent d_reclen

Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:

> You're expecting readdir()'s return values to be too similar to the
> on-disk format.

Well, yes, I suppose.

I did think, though, that d_reclen represents what it
says it represents: the size of this dirent.

> I also conjecture that you're on a 64-bit architecture, on which struct
> dirent is padded as necessary for 8-byte alignment

That makes sense to me in the context of the whole
struct, but if the on-disk format disagrees, is there
no way to determine the actual size of that particular
dirent?  Because it truly is _not_ 16, so what use is
d_reclen if it doesn't provide me with the answer to
the question "how large is this one directory entry"?

-Jan