tech-misc archive

Re: Flagging pf

On 11/22/2011 06:51 AM, Luke Mewburn wrote:
   | By the way, the other thing missing in all of these is an include
   | facility.  That would have been a nice to have too.

Within the configuration file itself?  At that point, I'd argue
that a preprocessor or other external configuration builder
would be more flexible.

I'm not so sure. I am thinking that I will have to do that since there is no include facility. The script would be dead simple as it simply has to put two files together, both symlinks in /etc and both pointing to my subversion checkout. One is the common stuff and the other is a link to the specific stuff for that system. My "preprocessor" would be no more than "cat /etc/pf.conf.head /etc/pf.conf.local > /etc/pf.conf" and yet "include /etc/pf.conf.local" would still be simpler. It also means that if something changes I wouldn't need to run the preprocessor.

Having an include facility doesn't stop anyone from building a preprocessor for more complex cases.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/