tech-misc archive

Re: wchar_t encoding?

I'm sorry, I must be missing something, but it still is not clear to me
why you can't use the standard conversion on the host (or, why you can
assume that host and target have the same wchar_t representation).

I would expect the side that runs the UI to tell the debugger about
the character encoding, all relevant parts of the communication to
happen in a locale dependend encoding according to that setting,
and the debugger to just use standard calls to parse that strings.

If there is no common locale setting for both parties, how can you assume
to be able to communicate in wchar_t streams? Passing wchar_t streams
between machines doesn't seem like a good idea, but I guess that is
where I'm missing something.

Martin