tech-misc archive

Re: wchar_t encoding?

Paul Koning <Paul_Koning%dell.com@localhost> wrote:

>> Or do they actually assume it's gonna be utf32?
>
> No, that's exactly the issue.
>
> The C99 rule you quoted says (or at least implies) that the encoding of
> wchar_t is locale dependent.  So the question is: how does a program
> find out WHAT encoding wchar_t uses right now?  I don't see any API for
> obtaining that information.  Clearly this is necessary -- how else can a
> program construct properly encoded wide char data if it needs to do so
> (as GDB does)?

There's api to convert between plain chars/strings and wide
chars/strings, there is stdio api for wide chars/strings.

Why is that necessary to know the wide char bit patterns?

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost                       |       Zu Grunde kommen
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen