tech-kern archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

NetBSD 11/Xen does not like many CPUs



Hey list,

I've been upgrading my Xen hosts to NetBSD 11 and the XEN3_DOM0 kernel
seems to not like systems with many cores (one system has 24 and the
other has 80 cores) and both panic with some flavor of:

[   1.0000030] panic: pirq 4991 out of bound, increase NR_PIRQS

...if I don't limit the number of cores on the DOM0 using the
dom0_max_vcpus flag to the xen kernel. I wouldn't have noticed since I
previously used to limit and pin the vcpus but I seem to recall reading
that limiting and pinning vcpus for the DOM0 is no longer recommended
with a recent Xen kernel.

GENERIC does not have this issue and works with all cores.

It's not a super big deal, but I wanted to make it known I bumped into a
panic.

Additionally I noticed that with netbsd-11 I can no longer use
TOOLDIR=.../tools-${MACHINE} as configure injects MACHINE=xen before the
template in the kernel Makefile making it expand to .../tools-xen. It
seems wrong to me that MACHINE would be set by anything in the build.

Staffan

Attachment: OpenPGP_signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature



Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index