Re: How does PCIe appear to the host?

This used to be my day job, but I'm only good at doing this on Linux.
Looking at the ids on the pciids database, you have a JMB58x AHCI SATA
controller. I'm not sure if that helps or not, but the next step for me
would be to dive into output of lspci and what the registers there say.

And I think the spec (it's been a couple of years) say it needs to fall
back to x1? It's online. I would expect JMicron to be spec compliant
(especially for PCIe) but you might want to check the errata for the
controller, check for firmware versions, etc.