Re: TCP vs urgent data [was Re: poll(): IN/OUT vs {RD,WR}NORM]

On 2024-05-29 16:54, Mouse wrote:
But reading RFC 959, there is no mention of using urgent data under
any circumstances.

No _explicit_ mention.  It's there by reference.

What that RFC says about aborting is:

[...]
        2. User system sends the Telnet "Synch" signal.

This involves setting URG.  Read the telnet spec's description of the
SYNCH operation (the top of page 9 of RFC854 is a good starting point).

Ah. Didn't bother digging deep enough this time. Fair enough. :-)

See also SO_OOBINLINE, SIOCATMARK, and SS_RCVATMARK.  I am sorely
tempted to try to rip out the OOB botch and design a socket interface
to the urgent pointer that isn't so badly broken, but I doubt I'd
actually find any use for the latter.  I might rip out the OOB stuff
just to find and fix anything trying to use it, though.

I think ripping it out would be the right thing. And I suspect very little would notice. And just pretend the sun is shining and continue running would probably work for those who even try using it.

  Johnny