Re: TCP vs urgent data [was Re: poll(): IN/OUT vs {RD,WR}NORM]

> But reading RFC 959, there is no mention of using urgent data under
> any circumstances.

No _explicit_ mention.  It's there by reference.

> What that RFC says about aborting is:

> [...]
>        2. User system sends the Telnet "Synch" signal.

This involves setting URG.  Read the telnet spec's description of the
SYNCH operation (the top of page 9 of RFC854 is a good starting point).

See also SO_OOBINLINE, SIOCATMARK, and SS_RCVATMARK.  I am sorely
tempted to try to rip out the OOB botch and design a socket interface
to the urgent pointer that isn't so badly broken, but I doubt I'd
actually find any use for the latter.  I might rip out the OOB stuff
just to find and fix anything trying to use it, though.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign