Re: GSoC 2024 : Emulating missing system calls

In article <CAFT9HSKC2Dt-3t-yiUqX-5SCn+UGZBttOf-p-f3i2tJvKB32rg%mail.gmail.com@localhost>,
Arnav Gupta  <arnvgpta95%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>follow up
>
>On Fri, Mar 1, 2024, 02:05 Arnav Gupta <arnvgpta95%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I'm a third year undergraduate student at BITS Pilani. I work with async
>> io (mainly io uring) calls in my lab and am generally interested in
>> systems topics. I found the topic "Emulating missing system calls"
>> interesting while going through the list of potential projects for the
>> year 2024.
>>
>> If preferable, I would like to join the communication channel used for the
>> same.
>>
>> Looking forward to learning from everyone in the community and making some
>> meaningful contributions along the way. Any guidance or roadmaps would be
>> greatly appreciated while I spend some time with the code-base on my end.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Arnav Gupta

Hi Arnav,

As part of GSoC last summer, Theodore did a lot of work adding
missing compat-linux system calls. I am not sure if there are many
popular ones missing. The way to find out is to install the latest
NetBSD version (10 or current) and then install a very recent compat
linux package (from pkgsrc, perhaps even getting a newer one to
work that is there already) and see how many binaries work, and
from the ones that fail, which system calls they need.

Best,

christos