Re: [RFC] userconf(4) modification

On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 05:32:20PM +0100, tlaronde%kergis.com@localhost wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 05:05:53PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
[..]
> > Something like:
> >
> >  uc> drm off
> >
> > and then have the drm command use a fixed build-in table of driver names
> > to disable individual drivers.
>
> This is precisely what I dislike: an ad hoc addition with the
> necessity to be careful about what objects have to be regenerated
> whenever something is touched or changed.

Well, there are two parts to it:

 1) the user interface: for a user following hints from the internet
    because their new machine blanks the screen at boot time the command
    has to be as simple as possible. We may work around that by adding
    the required magic to the standard boot menu on install media.

 2) the implementation: a very simple and scalable implementation
    (instead of the static list of known DRI devices, which IMO is not
    that hard to maintain either) is a global kernel variable like
    "drm_enabled" and all DRM related drivers checking for that in their
    probe function.

Martin