Re: [RFC] userconf(4) modification

On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 05:05:53PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> I would prefer to have a special new command that does all the magic
> internaly, and don't waste code and complexity on pattern matching
> and generalizations.
>
> Something like:
>
>  uc> drm off
>
> and then have the drm command use a fixed build-in table of driver names
> to disable individual drivers.

This is precisely what I dislike: an ad hoc addition with the
necessity to be careful about what objects have to be regenerated
whenever something is touched or changed.

The pattern matching (already implemented in a previous attempt)
doesn't cost much in code (it is not a regex implementation) and
allows too to reduce listing of devices in order to not have literally
hundreds of entries to browse.

userconf is, for me, a debugging/developing tool too. So it can be
useful for more than drmkms to disable a whole range of devices
(whether by group name or by pattern matching if the namespace is
"ruled").
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/