Re: kernel goes dark on boot

After calling ExitBootServices(), the only things that work are UEFI runtime services. You'll have to find another way to print to the console.

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 08:30:20AM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
An interesting problem on an all-in-one HP PC. Booting
NetBSD-10.0_BETA/amd64 (or prior versions) works fine until the
kernel starts displaying its messages. At that point the screen
turns dark.

I patched bootx64.efi to comment out the vbe_commit() call,
the screen does not go dark, but system still crashes.

By commenting out the uefi_call_wrapper() for ExitBootServices
I can printf up to the startprog64() call, then the bootstrap
jump into assembly code, and it is much more difficult
to figure what is going on. All I can say is that startprog64()
arguments do not look insane.

I am looking for debug hints. Is there some sample code somewhere
that calls UEFI Print method from assembly? Any other suggestion?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu%netbsd.org@localhost