Re: Add five new escape sequences to wscons

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 09:18:53 -0300, Crystal Kolipe wrote:

> It's useful, because these sequences correspond to the terminfo
> capabilities rin, indn, vpa, hpa, and cbt as defined in the xterm
> terminfo entry.  With these sequences implemented, it becomes
> slightly more practical to set TERM=xterm when connecting to remote
> systems that don't have a comprehensive terminfo database.

Why is is desirable to set specifically TERM=xterm instead of, say,
vt220, or whichever vt entry describes wscons the closest?

For multi-line scroll the patch just calls scrollup/scrolldown, but
that's not what the single-line scroll commands do (see
wsemul_vt100.c)

I'm actually not entirely convinced that it's even correct to describe
vt220 as having sf/ind scrolling capabilities, b/c the vt220 scrolling
sequences take the scrolling region into account and the terminfo
capabilities for scrolling are defined to operate on the whole screen
as far as I can tell.

So in its current form I don't think this patch is suitable and I'm
not convinced it's needed at all.

-uwe