Re: ATA TRIM?

>> OK, so any requests >4K will have to be packaged into further range
>> requests [...]

> This isn't right.  Bytes 7 & 8 of a TRIM range request form a
> counter.  So, a counter of 1 = (1 x max_dsm_blocks); 2 = (2 x
> max_dsm_blocks) up to 0xFFFF counts.

So is max_dsm_blocks misnamed, or is it just being abused as a
dsm_granularity value by TRIM, whereas other DSM commands do use it as
a maximum?  If the former, I'd like to rename it in my tree....

> And you can have 64 range requests (contiguous or disjoint) in a 512
> byte DSM payload.

You clearly know a lot more about the relevant commands than I do,
though admittedly at the moment that's a very very low bar.

> Start with a `count' of 1 after you set the LBA48 flag.

Once I figure out how to get some analog to LBA48, at least. :)  Yes,
my code sets r_count to 1 because the code I started with does
analogously.  Until I saw your email, I had no idea there was even any
way to _represent_ multiple ranges in a single request.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign