IPsec gsoc project

I noticed this project on the GSOC list filed under userland:

http://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/ikev2/
racoon(8) is the current IKEv1 implementation used in NetBSD. The
racoon code is old and crufty and full of potential security issues.
We would like to replace it.
[Libreswan can be added to the evaluation list :-)]

Can I suggest adding a separate project focused more on updating the
IPsec kernel sources?  The work could involve gap analysis (see bug
database), refreshing the existing code, and adding missing
functionality.
While I'm not going to be much help with the code proper I can
probably help answer "why does this feature matters?"

Andrew