Re: wsvt25 backspace key should match terminfo definition

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021, Michael van Elst wrote:

rvp%SDF.ORG@localhost (RVP) writes:

The kernel currently defines the backspace key as:

$ fgrep CERASE /usr/include/sys/ttydefaults.h
#define CERASE          0177

There is no 'defined as', in particular with emulated terminals
that aren't even the same on all platforms.

If you restrict yourself to PC hardware (i386/amd64 arch) then
you probably have either

a PS/2 keyboard -> the backspace key generates a DEL.
a USB keyboard  -> the backspace key generates a BS.

That's something you cannot shoehorn into a single terminfo
attribute and that's why many programs simply ignore terminfo
here, in particular when you think about remote access.

So, if I had a USB keyboard (don't have one to check right now), the
terminfo entry would be correct? How do we make this consistent then?
Have 2 terminfo entries: wsvt25-ps2 and wsvt25-usb (and fix-up getty
to set the correct one)?

-RVP