Re: Representing a rotary encoder input device

On Sep 22, 2021, at 7:10 AM, Jason Thorpe <thorpej%me.com@localhost> wrote:

> Well, ultimately, we translate “HID report” -> “ws* input event”.  Or are you suggesting that we should have a new interface to user-space that just sends HID reports?

That sounds like a good long-term plan, IMO, given the prevalence of HID in the modern era and the ability to map virtually everything to it.

I've though occasionally about putting together drivers for some of the HP-HIL devices (single-dial-and-button rotary encoder, dial box with nine rotary encoders, and button box with 32 buttons with LEDs) but haven't had much clue how to wire them into the higher layers of the system to actually use.

Having something like a HID abstraction layer that they could adapt to would make that more straightforward.

  -- Chris