Re: Representing a rotary encoder input device

> On Sep 22, 2021, at 7:52 AM, Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Well, ultimately, we translate â??HID reportâ?? -> â??ws* input eventâ??.  O$
>
> Do you really want input devices to be inaccessible except through
> ws* interfaces?  Unless it's possible to get ws* events without needing
> the whole wscons infrastructure set up (eg, on a machine with serial
> console), that strikes me as a bad idea.  (Keyboards and mice also
> really should be accessible without all of wscons too, but that's less
> likely to be a practical issue.)

Well, I'm not particularly interested in having to decode each device type separately in user-space.  ws* presents an abstraction from which you can read the events.  There's nothing that says you have to have those things connected to a display.

-- thorpej