Re: bounty for virtio 1.0 (now with instructions!)

On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 03:41:34AM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> On 03.11.2020 23:20, coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 03, 2020 at 10:42:27PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > The QEMU people mentioned that even if "legacy virtio" IDs are used,
> > there's a bit to show that it's compatible with newer virtio.  Things that
> > claim old virtio probably do both old & new.
> >

> "Transitional virtio" supports both, 1.0 and 0.9. I had a draft work with
> the upgrade of virtio, but incomplete..

How far are you progressed?

On quick reading the changes needed, the path I see before me now is to first
make the endianness configuable at runtime for all relevant devices, then
implement the new configuration/arbiter stuff but at first negotiate/demand
the classic setup as much as needed and as last go over each driver and make
them more flexible where needed.

Reinoud