Re: fsck updating but not fixing filesystem

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 at 09:04, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 at 20:50, David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 08:14:31PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> >  >
> >  > This time I've run fsck -f repeatedly and each time it marks the
> >  > filesystem as clean, but the next run finds another issue.
> >  >
> >  > This is netbsd-9 amd64 stable from nyftp, DELL, PERC H710P controller,
> >  > running RAID1.
> >
> > Are you sure the raid is clean? If it's not you can get bizarre
> > behavior like this depending on which side of it any given read is
> > serviced from. (That is: any given fsck run will see some of one
> > version and some of the other and make some changes, which may or may
> > not be consistent with what it sees the next time, and it all might
> > converge or might not...)

Hardware raid for the win... Or in this case not.

Taking a block copy of the filesystem to another device and it comes
up clean on fsck. I'm... a little annoyed at what purported to be a
relatively nice Dell PERC raid card - battery backup an' all.

Thanks David - I should have known better to trust hardware... Now I
just need to work out the best way to get to a trustworthy system  :)

David