Re: fsck updating but not fixing filesystem

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 at 20:50, David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 08:14:31PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
>  >
>  > This time I've run fsck -f repeatedly and each time it marks the
>  > filesystem as clean, but the next run finds another issue.
>  >
>  > This is netbsd-9 amd64 stable from nyftp, DELL, PERC H710P controller,
>  > running RAID1.
>
> Are you sure the raid is clean? If it's not you can get bizarre
> behavior like this depending on which side of it any given read is
> serviced from. (That is: any given fsck run will see some of one
> version and some of the other and make some changes, which may or may
> not be consistent with what it sees the next time, and it all might
> converge or might not...)

No problems are indicated by envstat for mfii, or in the BIOS setup
interface (Careful phrasing there).

However, I have a spare 8TB disk I can attach to the onboard ahcisata,
dd the filesystem across and re-run the fsck to confirm.
(I may be a little while in following up with that result :)

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 at 21:26, Michael Cheponis
<michael.cheponis%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>[...]
> Then I was wondering: given today's disks are mostly lying to the software about how its (internally) configured --- is there a 'better' FFS
> (FFSv3 ?) that would better map to today's disks?  Might there be a better FFSvN for SSDs vs big HDs?  Or just wait till ZFS is up to snuff?

I would seriously consider ZFS - I have a couple of other boxes
running ZFS, but this particular one panics if any zpool is mounted in
multiuser (kern/55602)

David