Re: makesyscalls (moving forward)

On 2020-06-15 00:50, Robert Swindells wrote>
Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost> wrote:
On 2020-06-14 23:21, Paul Goyette wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, David Holland wrote:

<snip>

This raises two points that need to be bikeshedded:

(1) What's the new tool called, and where does it live in the tree?
"usr.bin/makesyscalls" is fine with me but ymmv.

"usr.bin/makesyscalls" sounds good to me.

Uh? usr.bin is where stuff for /usr/bin is located, right? Anything
there should be pretty normal tools that any user might be interested
in. Don't seem to me as makesyscalls would be a tool like that?

As config(1) is in /usr/bin that seems the best place for makesyscalls
too.

Ouch! What a rabbit hole! I should be quiet now. :-)

(I don't really think config makes any sense at all to have in /usr/bin... ;-) )

I would expect that the generated files would have the developer uid and
gid, I wouldn't want them owned by root.

I guess I fail to see the problem there. That all depends on who is running it, and where the files are placed. Don't really matter where the tool is located.

  Johnny