Re: makesyscalls (moving forward)

> This is only me, but /sbin and /usr/sbin are for users with root
> privileges, while /bin and /usr/bin for everybody.

Maybe mostly.  But there are exceptions enough that I think keeping
this with the likes of config(1) and genassym(1) makes sense,
especially in view of cross-builds.

Personally, the biggest exception in practice is probably ping(8),
which I routinely use as a non-root user.  Others of use to me even as
non-root include iostat(8), mount(8), and ntpdc(8).  In the other
direction, chflags(1) and lastcomm(1) strike me as among the most
likely to belong in /usr/sbin instead.

And there is enough history - config(1), genassym(1) - behind build
tools being in /usr/bin that I think this one belongs there too.  Given
its typical, and apparent design, use, revoke(1) too.

Looking at the lists of commands, I don't think it's so much "root" and
"non-root" as it is "sysadmin" and "non-sysadmin" - which is also part
of why it's significantly harder to find exceptions in /usr/bin than in
/usr/sbin, since "root commands" is closer to being a subset of
"sysadmin commands" than the other way around.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign