Re: makesyscalls

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 08:58:57AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 01:25:03AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>  > Could you translate your prototype into a
>  > different language, one that's less basically hostile to our build system
>  > and its goals and benefits?
>
> Like which one? You removed the part of the post that explained that
> there aren't other reasonable choices.
>
> Yes, it can be rewritten in C as a subsequent step. *After* quite a
> bit of tidying. And no, I'm not doing that now. Among other problems,
> compiling it requires bikeshedding where to put it in the tree. Feel
> free to sort that out.

I'd say 'C'. If the specification is read in, sanity checking can be added on
the read in datastructure too wich is hard to do in awk and `friends'. Things
like missing compat definitions, missing syscall numbers etc can be printed
out to be noted as non-existent etc. I don't know about structure versioning
and system calls as for compat but generating them seems the right way to go.

I'm not into the machanics of the syscall code and compat code generation but
implementing it in 'C' seems like the most logical choice.

Reinoud