Re: recording /dev/sound vs pause

At Fri, 20 Mar 2020 16:39:34 +0900,
Tetsuya Isaki wrote:
> I found a strange behavior on /dev/sound.
>
> On NetBSD7, opening /dev/audio always initializes as pause=false,
> and it forces recording start.
>
> Opening /dev/sound inherits sticky pause.  If the sticky
> pause = true, /dev/sound initializes as pause=true and then
> recording doesn't start.  It will be expected behavior.
>
> On the other hand, if the sticky pause = false, /dev/sound doesn't
> initialize pause (not "initialize with false") and therefore
> recording doesn't start.
>
> In result, on NetBSD7 (or prior):
> opening /dev/audio always starts recording and
> opening /dev/sound always doesn't start recording (regardless of
> sticky pause).
>
> On NetBSD9, both of opening /dev/{audio,sound} doesn't start
> recording now.  And it should be fixed.
> But is this NetBSD7 behavior expected?  (And should I keep this
> (strange) behavior in new audio?)

I'll treat this /dev/sound's behavior as a bug and fix it as follows:
- opening /dev/audio (pause is always false in this case) always starts
  recording.
  (NetBSD7 did so, but -9/HEAD doesn't currently, this is my bug)
- opening /dev/sound (if the sticky pause = false) starts recording.
  (NetBSD7 and -9/HEAD didn't so, this is an old bug)
- opening /dev/sound (if the sticky pause = true) doesn't start recording.
  (no changes)

Thanks,
---
Tetsuya Isaki <isaki%pastel-flower.jp@localhost / isaki%NetBSD.org@localhost>