Re: __{read,write}_once

On 06.11.2019 15:57, Jason Thorpe wrote:

>>> ...except that seems to imply the opposite of what these do.
>>>
>>> -- thorpej
>>>

>> Rationale?
>>
>> This matches atomic_load_relaxed() / atomic_write_relaxed(), but we do
>> not deal with atomics here.
>
> Fair enough.  To me, the names suggest "compiler is allowed to apply relaxed constraints and tear the access if it wants".... But apparently the common meaning is "relax, bro, I know what I'm doing".  If that's the case, I can roll with it.
>
> -- thorpej

Unless I mean something this is exactly about relaxed constraints.

"Relaxed operation: there are no synchronization or ordering constraints
imposed on other reads or writes" and without "operation's atomicity is
guaranteed".

This is also similar to what suggested Google to apply to NetBSD in our
internal thread, but with a bit different naming.