Re: CVS commit: src/sys/kern

manu%netbsd.org@localhost (Emmanuel Dreyfus) writes:

>Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:

>> We have to decide if we really want to switch things to the NAME=
>> syntax and allow wedge: only for compatibility.

>I went for NAME= here because x86 bootloader now uses that everywhere,
>and my concern was multiboot command line root options passed as is from
>bootloader to kernel:

>menu=netbsd-8.1/amd64 XEN3_DOM0:load NAME=ffs:/netbsd81-XEN3_DOM0.gz
>console=com0 root=NAME=ffs;multiboot NAME=ffs:/xen-4.11.1 dom0_mem=256M
>console=com1 com1=115200,8n1

That's nice if it works, but device or even partition naming of
bootloaders was always different from what the booted system uses.
Think about BIOS device numbers (mapped to fdX: hdX: and cdX:).

The same syntax for slightly different things is at least confusing.

The load and multiboot argument is interpreted by the bootloader
as a GPT partition label, but possibly also as a BIOS device name.

The root argument is interpreted by the kernel as a wedge name.

Only if all the world consists of GPT formatted disks, then both
are the same.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost