Re: pci_intr_alloc() vs pci_intr_establish() - retry type?

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018, Jaromír Doleček wrote:

pci_intr_alloc() checks what the device claims to support down the
call stack, reading the PCI config space. I assume there some
negotiation between the PCI bus and the device. I hope device can't
claim to support e.g. MSI-X if the bus doesn't.

Device claiming to support MSI-X is fine. The bus should only set PCI_FLAGS_MSIX_OKAY in its pcibus_attach_args pba_flags in the case that MSI-X is supported, and then the MD code will filter it out:

https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/arch/arm/pci/pci_msi_machdep.c#90
https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/arch/x86/pci/pci_msi_machdep.c#256