Re: pci_intr_alloc() vs pci_intr_establish() - retry type?

Jaromir Dolecek <jaromir.dolecek%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>I see several drivers (e.g. xhci(4), ahcisata(4), bge(4), nvme(4))
>retry the pci_intr_alloc()+pci_intr_establish() with 'lower' types
>when pci_intr_establish() fails.
>
>Is this a real case, can it actualy happen that pci_intr_alloc()
>returns the interrupt handlers, but pci_intr_establish() would fail
>for it?
>
>If it's not a real case, it would be nice to remove all that boilerplate code.

I have several amd64 systems that don't do MSI/MSIX.

It looks to me that drivers try MSI and/or MSIX first based on the
device type not on whether the host controller can handle it.

I can add some debug to see what is going on.

Robert Swindells